Monday, March 29, 2010

Seder in Israel

So as everyone at home is probably just starting their Seders, I am at my mom's cousin's house where we just finished ours. It was my first Israeli Seder and my first away from home. I want to describe the Seder a little bit and explain some differences.

The Seder was all in Hebrew, as expected. It was hard to know what was going on as we went from page to page. Luckily, I was given an English Haggadah so I could keep up. Since it was written by Israelis, the English was very poor. We went through the passages quickly with little time to realize what just happened. I noticed a few things that were done differently - such as saying the hand washing prayer and then not washing our hands. No body wore Kippas except for me and one other person. We didn't do all four cups of wine if I recall correctly. We didn't have eggs (although there was one on the Seder plate). Dayeinu had different words but the same tune. These are some things that puzzled me, but I wasn't annoyed - just curious.

The food was very good although different than what we have at home. I had some pretty good matzoh balls and many other good things. We finished the Seder with some songs.

All in all, it lasted about 4 hours but felt even faster. Most of the discussion was in Hebrew but I tried my best to figure out what was being talked about. I can't wait to be home for next year's seder but I am also happy to have been able to experience an Israeli Passover. Chag Sameach to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment